Thursday, March 09, 2006

Update #1 Rarotonga Friday 3/4 – Sunday 3/5

This is a long way from EVERYWHERE!!!..... After finally arriving in LA from Portland half my evening was spent getting from one terminal to the International Terminal. I think there is only ONE shuttle bus that circles the entire airport. Checking through TSA security in the International building was another experience. It certainly was not like leaving Bar Harbor. Needless to say my radio equipment and satellite phone caught their attention. Finally, when they were assured I was not a threat or some sort of clandestine operator – they said 'Have a nice flight'!

I am spending my remaining couple of hours in the Air New Zealand lounge – quite civilized with free food and beverage awaiting my boarding call. I shall continue from 'on high'……. 8:00 PM PST.

1:00AM (somewhere) SATURDAY 3/4 34,000 ft. As we zip along over the South Pacific towards our interim stop in Tahiti, I have dined upon New Zealand lamb and some quite delightful wine and watched "Walk The Line". We had departed LAX on schedule and our ETA in Rarotonga via Papeete is 9:00 AM Cook Island time. I have given up trying to figure out what time it is where!! All I know it is time for the headphones and Jimmy Buffett to lull me to sleep for a couple hours.

5:00 AM (on my watch) folks are stirring as we prepare for our arrival in Tahiti. No sunrise yet but stepping off the plane for the 2-hour layover, I get my first exposure to tropical weather. 80 degrees – 90% humidity and partly cloudy. Fans but no AC in the airport terminal.

We re-board with some new passengers and those of us continuing on to Rarotonga and New Zealand. A little breakfast COFFEE and I am ready for the final leg. I am met at the airport by our team leader, Marty. She (and her husband) are veteran travelers and have led 26 teams to most of the locations Global Volunteers goes. He's a ham and just left to go back to their home in Portland OR. Also at the airport is my new-found ham friend, Victor, ZK1CG. We meet out other member, Marianne, an artist from Canada and off we go to The KiKi Motel. By design, Marty has kept our schedule light for the weekend and Monday – so as to acclimate to the heat. Yes brother it’s HOT and humid. You can stand in front of a fan and sweat!! My room "the ham radio" room – frequented by numerous ham radio operators before me is on the 2nd. Floor corner with a balcony over looking the water. Not too shabby!! And there is an ocean breeze.

I am hoping to scope out e-mail options for photos as this satellite link would still be downloading pictures by the time I get home. There is access at the "Telcom" building – for a FEE!! so I will be investigating.

In the meantime besides literally "sweating bullets" I am excited to see what adventures unfold. That’s all for now – time for more water and a pit stop..Cheers, jw

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home