Thursday, March 09, 2006

Update #3 Wednesday March 8, 2006

Kia Orana! (Good Day) Wednesday, March 8, 2006 Temp 86 degrees - Humidity 92% with rain showers – and they tend to be gully washers!. Yesterday was my first full day of work at the Cook Islands Red Cross. I jumped right into teaching The New Zealand – NOT Australian! Curriculum of Basic First Aid class and the new CPR curriculum - with a couple New Zealand twists!

They have "casualties" here not victims or patients. Back blows are still included for all choking before abdominal thrusts. Instead of just A-B-C's , D-Danger – R–Response – S-Send for Help is included. Unconscious choking casualty just gets CPR.

My "boss" Charlie Numanga is in charge of training and Disaster Response for the Outer Islands. He is one of two full-time employees and works for Air New Zealand after hours as a fuel loader. Additionally he volunteers, and organizes from what I can determine, the island's Search and Rescue team.

Today, it is thankfully partly cloudy, in the upper 80's with a moderate sea breeze which often dissipates at dusk. The bugs haven't been too bothersome – or it is just that my "Buzz-Off" clothing is actually working. With two fans within 3 inches of me at night the sleeping can be accomplished.

I missed my opportunity of getting to town after work yesterday for e-mailing as we didn't complete class until 6PM – but plan to leave by 3 today as we have our first Maiori language lesson this afternoon.

I will travel with Charlie next week for 5 days to one of the outer Islands to teach both citizens and children in the schools. It is a much smaller island (250 pop) and power is tuned off at midnight. NZ$ 50 per night for room and food! Apparently, Rarotonga is civilized compared to where I am going!! It seems to be about 1 hour flight from here – we will leave Monday morning returning Friday afternoon. I think this will be the true "flavor" of the islands!! Could be interesting! So there will not be much contact from me after this coming Sunday.

As I am going to be going pretty straight next week, I plan to take off early Friday and have a quiet weekend – perhaps finally getting the radio station in operation.

I will be trying to upload my first set of photos soon. Cheers JW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home