Wednesday, March 22, 2006

CookISlands Update # 10

Update # 10 – WEdnesday, March 22, 2006 –
.
Kia Orana! (Good Day

Well the trip to the Takatumi Conservation Area was another amazing experience. In 1996, this 250+ acre part of the tropical rain forest in the center part of the island was set aside by a community based movement and local landowners to protect the endangered Rarotongan Flycatcher the Kakerori. In 1989 there were only 29 of these birds left anywhere n the world; this sanctuary being its only habitat. They were being decimated by the Ship Rats brought onto the island by visiting ships. Through poison bating the Rats have been brought under control and in 2005 there were 265 birds recorded.

The current cartaker, Adam Isaac, took us on a 45 minute walk up into the valley explaining the history of the areaand the progress that has been made restoring this species. As you can see from the photos, the name “rain forest” proved true as we got caught in an absolute thunderous downpour on the way out.

Today, I returned to the Red Cross to finish up my report on yesterday’s workshop and have just been informed that one of the small elementary schools wants 3 “hurricane” presentations tomorrow. Since 5 cyclones damaged the islands last year, they take disaster education very seriously. Friday will be my last morning with my Red Cross friends while I spend the afternoon getting packed up for the Saturday morning flight. We are all not sure where we will have our “Last Supper”. Marianne heads on to her remaining 3 month around the Pacific journey heading first for Tahiti and then Easter Island. Marty, our team leader returns with me to Portland though on different flights.

This will probably be the last update until I arrive back at Emily and Andrew’s house in Portland. I will plan to write a summary note plus post any remaining photos during my few days there. That’s all for not s I sit at the outside café “wifi hotspot” Café Salsa enjoying one of my last afternoons in Avarua. Had a delish cup of cold curry soup but a damn chicken jumped up on the table and stole my bread!!! Guess I didn’t need it! Cheers, JW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home