Monday, March 13, 2006

Update # 6 – Monday, March 13, 2006 – Posted from the Cook Islands Red Cross

Kia Orana! (Good Day) This will be the last update until I return from the island of Mitiaro on Friday afternoon, March 17th. We depart from Rarotonga this afternoon for a 55 minute flight east over to the island in Air Rarotonga!! These are turbo prop commuter aircraft that look relatively new and well-maintained. Charlie Numanga, the Disaster Officer and the President of the Board of The Cook Islands Red Cross and I are going.

We have learned new information about Mitiaro. There are approx. 200 residents living in and around town on the west side of the island. There are no tourist/resort facilities (they like it that way) and one public phone at the town wharf. There are around 60 telephone numbers listed in the phone book. Folks who visit for a reason like us are lodged in local homes for NZ$ 50 per night including food. The purpose for this Red Cross visit is: 1) Continue to train community members in CPR/FA – Train and update local Instructors 2) Support and monitor local RC chapter governance and financial procedures and 3) Encourage increased volunteer RC membership within the community. When natural disasters affect these outer islands, they are really on their own for perhaps days/weeks until outside help can arrive. During last year's cyclone season (October-March) FIVE cyclones impacted The Cooks during the month of February!! Relatively speaking what this small Cook Islands Red Cross organization did for the effected population with its limited resources compared to FEMA's response was astounding!! I am very proud to have the opportunity to work with these fine people.

Saturday evening we spent an engaging evening with Niki (RC Director) and her husband Collin who is a master Black Pearl jewelry maker!! (Yes Marsha, I remember!) They are building a three-story house up in the hills on the East side of the island that sports a magnificent view of the ocean from a 3rd floor deck (plus supposedly killer sunrises!) They live on the third floor with their two adult children while Collin finishes off the first two floors having his workshop on the ground level.

I spent most of Sunday finally having some time to finalize my radio equipment and have a fun afternoon hamming. We were going to plan a beach visit and picnic but the tropical downpours seem to have been more frequent these past few days.

For those ham radio operators reading this, I have been most successful on 17 meters (18.157.5) and 20 meters (14.342.5) HF Pack Frequencies and plan to be back on next Saturday morning and 0800 local. Team Leader Marty's husband is a ham back in Portland, OR where they live, so I hope to speak with him next weekend.

I believe I am somewhat acclimatizing to the constant heat but my goodness, it never really lets up, especially with the constant 90+ degree humidity - even at night. Actual temps range from the low to mid-90's during the day when the sky is clear to 80's with clouds and at night. However, most of the time the on-shore trade winds blow albeit moisture-laden.

With all the added fluid intake, "pit stops" need to be well planned out! Andrew's choice of "wicking" clothing instead of my cotton "ensemble" has proved to be a lifesaver! I never thought I would actually be cooler wearing a "wicking" t-shirt under my lightweight outer shirts! Thanks Pal.

Well. That's it for now. I plan to have a bunch of new photos to post upon my return. I am off to the airport!! Cheers, JW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home